When it comes to pursuing a Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (BUMS) in India, choosing the right admission counsellor can make a significant difference in your educational journey. With the competitive nature of NEET-UG counselling and the vast number of options available, having a reliable and experienced education counsellor by your side can greatly enhance your chances of securing admission to the best institutions. In this article, we will explore the importance of admission counsellors and provide insights into finding the best ones in India.
Table of Contents
- Career in Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (BUMS)
- The Significance of NEET-UG Counselling
- Understanding the Role of an Admission Counsellor
- Qualities of the Best Admission Counsellors
- Finding the Best MBBS Admission Counsellor in India
Career in Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (BUMS)
One of the oldest medical systems still in use today is called unani, and it was first used in South Asia and the Middle East. This approach was developed by the famous physician “Hippocrates” in the Greek culture. It is additionally referred to as “Hikmat” or Unani Tibb Medicine. There is a 6000-year history there.
The Roman physician “Galen” was credited with developing the Roman medical system, which is referred to in this system. The Arabic and Persian physician were embraced and flagged this system over the mediaeval ages and during its growth.
The origin of unani medicine for the Perso-Arabic traditional medical system was mostly in South Asia and Middle Eastern nations. Greece is where the Unani medical system first emerged. The Roman physician “Galen” is credited with developing the Roman medical system, which is referred to in this system. The Arabic and Persian physician have been embraced and flagged this system during the mediaeval ages and through the development of this system.
The Unani system is regarded as the art and science of healing. This system views sickness as a normal process. When a disease is present, the body responds by exhibiting symptoms. The primary goal of the unani medical system is to support the body’s inherent ability to cure itself by reducing these symptoms, relieving the patient’s suffering and simultaneously curing him or her.
The four humours—blood in the human body, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile—are the foundation of unani. The four parts of this system are fire, water, earth, and air. In the management and treatment of conditions like infertility, weight loss, vitiligo, diabetes, kidney stones, etc., it is more important.
After the allopathic, ayurvedic, and homoeopathic medical systems, unani is the fourth most common medical system in India. Under the Delhi Sultanate (1206–1527) and Islamic authority over North India, Unani medicine originally made its way to India around the 12th or 13th century, and it later flourished under the Mughal Empire. Hakim Ajmal Khan (1868–1927), a distinguished doctor and expert in Unani medicine, promoted the Unani System in India.
He or she must have earned at least a 50% overall grade point average in physics, chemistry, and biology in 12th grade from an accredited institution or university in order to be eligible for the course.
Also required is Urdu proficiency. He or she should be fluent up to the 10th grade level in the language. If not, he or she ought to have taken Urdu as an elective language in the Science stream of the eleventh and twelfth grades.
Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM), a regulatory authority in India, oversees unani education. Students who wish to enrol in a BUMS course may take the NEET (National Level Exam) or KEAM (State Level Exam).
It is required that the applicant be at least 17 years old.
BUMS is a course for undergraduate degrees. There are 512 years in the course. There are 4 12 years devoted to the academic programme and 1 year devoted to the internship.
The majority of medical programmes emphasise the value of getting a postgraduate degree. Unani medicine is a similar scenario. Graduate students from BUMS can enrol in these programmes, which will improve their employment prospects. The most well-liked ones are the MS-Unani (Master of Surgery) and MD-Unani (Doctor of Medicine) programmes. Both of them are PG programmes that last three years.
There are also PG Diploma Unani programmes available, which BUMS graduates can enrol in. Graduates can specialise in any field using the PG Unani courses described above. Several of these specialisations include:
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- ENT and Ophthalmology
- Preventive and Social Medicine
Scope and Career Growth in Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery
Career prospects are excellent in unani and its related disciplines, including ayurveda, homoeopathy, siddha, naturopathy, and yoga. Unani has a significant influence on how many diseases and disorders are managed and treated. Graduates of BUMS can find a variety of jobs in both the public and private sectors. They also have the nice option of working for themselves. Graduates may begin working as “Hakims” (Doctors) in the Unani medical system. Graduates can get such a position in both public and private unani hospitals, nursing homes, and health facilities.
Here some of the employment areas for the professionals who have done the BUMS programme
- Unani Hospitals (Government and private)
- Government Drug Units
- Unani Pharmaceutical Industry
- Unani training institutes/colleges
- Research bodies
- Drug Control Boards
In the government sector, one may join as Medical Officer advertised through different Public Service Commission such as
- Union Public Service Commission
- Rajasthan Public Service Commission
- Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission
- Culcutta Public Service Commission
- Bihar Public Service Commission
- Maharashtra Public Service Commission, etc.
The Significance of NEET-UG Counselling
NEET-UG is the national-level entrance examination conducted for admission to undergraduate medical programs, including BUMS. The counselling process that follows the exam determines the allocation of seats in various colleges across India. Navigating this process can be challenging, and having an experienced admission counsellor can ensure that you make the most of the opportunities available.
Understanding the Role of an Admission Counsellor
An admission counsellor plays a crucial role in guiding aspiring students through the complex process of NEET-UG counselling. Their primary responsibilities include providing information about BUMS programs, assisting with the application process, offering career guidance, and helping students make informed decisions regarding their educational path.
Qualities of the Best Admission Counsellors
To find the best admission counsellor for BUMS, it is essential to consider certain qualities and criteria. Look for counsellors who possess the following traits:
- Expertise and Experience: Seek professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in the field of medical admissions, specifically BUMS. Their expertise will help you understand the nuances of the admission process and make informed choices.
- Updated Knowledge: The best counsellors stay updated with the latest developments in NEET-UG counselling and admission requirements. They are aware of changes in regulations, seat quotas, and eligibility criteria, ensuring accurate guidance.
- Personalized Guidance: Every student has unique aspirations and requirements. The best admission counsellors take the time to understand your goals and provide personalized guidance tailored to your needs.
- Strong Network: Counsellors with a vast network of contacts in the medical education industry can facilitate connections with colleges, professors, and experts, increasing your chances of securing admission to the top institutions.
Finding the Best MBBS Admission Counsellor in India
India boasts numerous education counsellors who specialize in medical admissions. To find the best MBBS admission counsellor in India, consider the following approaches:
- Recommendations: Seek recommendations from trusted sources such as teachers, mentors, medical professionals, or alumni who have gone through the admission process. They can provide valuable insights based on their personal experiences.
- Research and Reviews: Conduct thorough research online, read reviews, and check ratings of different admission counsellors. Look for testimonials from students who have benefited from their guidance.
- Direct Interaction: Arrange consultations or interviews with shortlisted counsellors to discuss your aspirations and gauge their expertise. This direct interaction will help you assess their communication skills and level of commitment.
Choosing the best admission counsellor for BUMS and NEET-UG counselling is crucial for aspiring students seeking a successful career in Unani Medicine and Surgery. By considering the qualities mentioned above and following the suggested approaches, you can find the right education counsellor who will guide you through the admission process, increase your chances of securing admission to top institutions, and set you on the path to a rewarding career in the field of Unani Medicine.