NIT Kurukshetra, officially known as the National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra, is one of the premier engineering institutions in India. Established with the aim of providing high-quality technical education, the institute has a rich history and continues to be a hub of academic excellence and innovation. In this article, we will explore the introduction and historical background of NIT Kurukshetra.
NIT Kurukshetra, located in Kurukshetra, Haryana, India, is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in the country. It is an autonomous public technical university known for its undergraduate and postgraduate programs in engineering, management, and applied sciences. NIT Kurukshetra has consistently ranked among the top engineering institutions in India and is recognized for its commitment to producing skilled professionals and promoting research and development.
The history of NIT Kurukshetra is marked by its journey from a regional engineering college to a National Institute of Technology. Let’s delve into the key milestones in the institute’s history, NIT Kurukshetra was originally established as a Regional Engineering College (REC) in 1963. It was one of the 17 RECs set up as part of India’s Second Five-Year Plan with the primary aim of meeting the growing demand for technical education. Over the years, the institute expanded its academic offerings and facilities, becoming a prominent technical education center in Northern India. It played a crucial role in producing skilled engineers and technocrats for the country.
In 2002, the Government of India elevated the status of the institute, renaming it as the National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra. This transition brought with it greater autonomy and recognition on the national and international stage. NIT Kurukshetra is known for its commitment to academic excellence. The institute offers undergraduate programs in various engineering disciplines, postgraduate programs, doctoral research opportunities, and management courses. The institute boasts a dedicated and experienced faculty, many of whom are actively engaged in research and development projects. NIT Kurukshetra encourages students and faculty to contribute to the advancement of science and technology.
The campus is equipped with modern infrastructure, including well-equipped classrooms, laboratories, a central library, sports facilities, and hostels. This results in an ideal learning environment for students. NIT Kurukshetra actively participates in research and development initiatives across various fields, including engineering, science, and technology. The institute’s research centers and laboratories support innovative projects. The institute has established collaborations with various universities and institutions worldwide, providing students and faculty with opportunities for international exposure, research, and academic exchange.
NIT Kurukshetra has a strong track record of providing placement and career opportunities to its graduates. Many students secure positions with reputed companies and organizations in India and abroad. Beyond academics, the institute offers a vibrant campus life with a variety of clubs, societies, cultural events, and sports activities. Students are encouraged to pursue hobbies outside of the classroom. NIT Kurukshetra actively engages in community outreach programs, social initiatives, and environmental sustainability efforts as part of its commitment to social responsibility. NIT Kurukshetra continues to evolve and expand, aiming to meet the changing needs of students, industries, and the global technological landscape. The institute remains dedicated to fostering academic excellence and innovation. NIT Kurukshetra’s history is a testament to its commitment to providing high-quality technical education and fostering research and development. From its humble beginnings as a regional engineering college to its current status as a National Institute of Technology, the institute has played a pivotal role in producing skilled engineers and contributing to India’s technological growth.
- Courses and fees
- Important dates
- Admission procedure
- B.Tech Admission
- M.Tech Admission
- MBA Admission
- MCA Admission
- Ph.D Admission
|Year of establishment
|NIRF Ranking 2023
|– 58 (Engineering)
|Number of Scholarships offered
|Placement rate (2022)
|-Delta Power Solutions India Private Limited -Faculty of Engineering, Yamaguchi University
|JEE Main, GATE, NIMCET, CAT
Courses and fees
|₹1.6 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)
|10+2 + JEE Main
|₹1.05 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)
|Pass in Graduation + GATE
|₹58,000 (1st Year Fees)
|₹1.05 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)
|Pass in Graduation + CAT
|₹1.05 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)
|Graduation with 60% + NIMCET
|Display of CSAB Special Round-I Seat Allotment Result
|August 08, 2023
|Exercise seat options and Onlince Reporting
|August 08 – August 11, 2023
|Display of CSAB Special Round-II Seat Allotment Result
|August 13, 2023
|August 13 – August 15, 2023
|Release of JEE Main Notification 2024
|JEE Mains 2024 exam date session 1
|January 24 to February 1, 2024
|NTA JEE Mains 2024 Exam Date April session
|April 1 to 15, 2024
|CAT Regsitration Window
|August 02 –
|Admit Card Download
|25 Oct–26 Nov 2023
|CAT 2023 Exam Date
|CAT Result Declaration
|Second Week of January
|GATE Registration Starts from
|GATE Closing Date for REGULAR online registration/ application process (Without Late Fee)
|October 12, 2023
|GATE Closing Date of EXTENDED online registration/ application process (With Late Fee)
|October 20, 2023
|Modifications in GATE 2024 Application
|November 07 – November 11, 2023
|Availablity of GATE Admit Cards for Download
|January 03, 2023
|GATE Exam Date (Tentative)
|February 3,4,10, & 11, 2024
|IIT JAM Registration Window
|September 05 – October 13, 2023
|IIT JAM Exam Date
|February 11, 2024
The institute provides four-year B.Tech degree programs in seven engineering disciplines. Applicants for B. Tech admission must have a valid JEE Main score. However, the final seat is awarded during the JoSAA Counselling.
B.Tech Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have at least 75% marks in 10+2 examination or be in the top 20% of the respective board, with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/Technical Vocational subjects, to be eligible to apply for NIT Kurukshetra admission in B.Tech. For SC/ST applicants, qualifying marks in the 12th class examination shall be 65%.
- Candidates must pass the JEE Main exam.
- Seats are reserved in compliance with the norms established by the Government of India.
B.Tech. Selection Criteria
Based on the results of the 12th test and the JEE Main score, a merit list would be created, listing students’ All India Rank (AIR).
Candidates must register for counselling online at the official JoSSA website in order to participate in the NIT Kurukshetra admission process. Choice filling and locking are required and must be completed by the candidate only. Branch options are to be filled in decreasing order of preference. Seats will be assigned in each round of counselling based on the NIT Kurukshetra cut off.
Admission to M.Tech. at NIT Kurukshetra is available in 8 Departments with 22 specialties. It is a full-time course that lasts two years for ordinary students and one year for PG diploma holders in the relevant discipline. GATE qualified candidates fill the institute slots first, followed by industry-sponsored candidates.
|Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. Structural Engineering
|Water Resources Engineering
|Power Electronics & Drives
|Electronics & Comm
|Electronics & Communication Engineering
|Industrial and Production Engineering
|School of VLSI Design & Embedded Systems
|Embedded System Design
|School of Energy and Efficiency
|Renewable Energy Systems
M.Tech Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates with at least 60% in Candidates with a B. Tech or a CPA of 6.5 on a 10-point scale are eligible to apply for M.Tech admission at NIT Kurukshetra.
- Candidates must pass the GATE examination.
- Seats are reserved in compliance with the norms established by the Government of India.
M.Tech Selection Criteria
- All GATE eligible applicants must attend CCMT Counseling.
- Candidates will be chosen based on their GATE scores for CCMT counselling, and a list will be created accordingly.
- The central counselling board of CCMT will determine the cut off for each expertise.
NIT Kurukshetra offers a two-year full-time MBA program. Admission to NIT Kurukshetra’s MBA program is based on CAT/GMAT/CMAT/MAT scores. NIT Kurukshetra MBA has 53 seats available, 21 of which are reserved for General category students.
MBA Eligibility Criteria
- To be eligible for MBA at NIT Kurukshetra, a candidate must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in any field with at least 50% (45% for SC/ST applicants).
- Candidates must have passed the CAT/MAT/CMAT/GMAT exam.
MBA Selection Criteria
- Candidates are shortlisted for GD and PI based on their grade point average and CAT/MAT/CMAT/GMAT scores.
- The institute creates a merit list of selected candidates based on their entrance exam scores and performance in the GD and PI.
- The admission exam result is worth 70 points, while the performance in the GD/PI is worth 30 points.
To give admission to MCA programs, NITs conduct a national level test called NIMCET. Admission to NIT Kurukshetra is granted based on NIMCET scores and counseling.
MCA Eligibility Criteria
Students with at least 60% aggregate or 6.5 CGPA on a 10-point scale (55% aggregate or 6.0 CGPA on a 10-point scale for SC/ST/PwD) in
- B.Sc. / B.Sc. (Hons) / BCA / BIT / B.Voc. (Computer Science/ Computer Applications) of at least three years full-time study from a recognized university with Mathematics/ Statistics as one of the topics OR B.Voc. (Computer Science/ Computer Applications) of at least three years full-time study from a recognized university with Mathematics/ Statistics as one of
- Students with a B.E./B.Tech. from a recognized university are eligible to take NIMCET-2023
MCA Selection Criteria
- Candidates are shortlisted for counselling based on their grades in high school and their NIMCET scores.
- During the counseling process, students will select a course and a college.
- Following the counseling, a merit list will be generated based on the NIMCET rank and college preference.
- Seats will be assigned to pupils based on their merit.
NIT Kurukshetra offers Ph.D. admission in 5 Departments with a variety of specialization fields. The student must hold a master’s degree in the relevant subject. NIT Kurukshetra Ph.D admission is based on performance in a written test and an interview.
In the connected areas of specialty, the following departments/schools offer Ph.D. programs.
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- School of VLSI Design and Embedded Systems
- School of Renewable Energy and Efficiency
- Department of Business Administration Department of Computer Application
Ph.D Eligibility Criteria
- This program is open to any student who has completed his Master’s degree in the relevant subject.
- Candidates must have a minimum of 60% or a 6.5 CGPA in aggregate.
Ph.D Selection Criteria
- The candidate will be chosen based on a written test administered by the Institute.
- Following the written test, the candidate will be interviewed.
- The DRC (Department Research Committee) will administer a written test to all qualifying applicants. DRC can shortlist a number of people for interviews based on their performance in the written test and the number of vacancies available in the department.
JEE-Main Cutoff 2023
The NIT Kurukshetra JEE-Main Cutoff 2023 for the General Category is given below. The overall cutoff for JEE-Main is a rank between 1485 and 2407.
|B.Tech Computer Engineering
|B.Tech Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
|B.Tech Information Technology
|B.Tech Mathematics and Computing
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering
GATE Cutoff 2023
The NIT Kurukshetra GATE Cutoff 2023 for the General Category is given below. GATE’s overall cutoff is 353 – 360 points.
|M.Tech Environmental Engineering
|M.Tech Geotechnical Engineering
|M.Tech Production & Industrial Engineering
|M.Tech Renewable Energy
IIT-JAM Cutoff 2023
NIT Kurukshetra, IIT-JAM General Category Cutoff 2023 is listed below. The overall cutoff for IIT-JAM is a rank between 1582 and 2067.
NIT Kurukshetra has completed its 2022 placement drive, with 843 students receiving 1014 placement offers. When compared to the previous year, the number of placement offers grew by 49%. 632 B.Tech students, 114 M.Tech students, 72 MCA students, and 25 MBA students were placed. In 2021, the highest wage paid was INR 1.25 CPA, up from INR 43.75 LPA. ICICI Lombard, HCL Technologies, Microsoft, Adani Group, Mphasis, and many other companies are among the top recruiters at NIT Kurukshetra.
|Placements Statistics 2021
|Placements Statistics 2022
|Number of Eligible Students
|Number of Placement Offers
|Number of Students Placed
|INR 43.75 LPA
|INR 1.25 CPA
|INR 11.37 LPA
|INR 13.89 LPA
|INR 10.92 LPA
|Microsoft, Adani Group, ICICI Lombard, HCL Technologies, Mphasis
|#28 out of 131 in India 2023 #1st in Haryana
|#26 out of 216 in India 2022 #1st in Haryana
|#58 out of 200 in India 2023 #1st in Haryana
|#50 out of 300 in India 2022 #1st in Haryana
|#53 out of 170 in India 2023
|#54 out of 192 in India 2022
NIT Kurukshetra provides a range of scholarships to its first or subsequent year (2nd, 3rd, or final year) undergraduate/postgraduate students based on their performance in the previous qualifying test, as determined by the institute and the Government of India. Some of the most well-known scholarship programs of NIT Kurukshetra are listed below:
- In each academic year (2nd, 3rd, and 4th year), the institute awards 26 Merit Scholarships in each field of the relevant programs.
- A student must have received at least 60% in the previous qualifying semester/final semester.
Merit Cum Means Scholarship:
- The Merit Cum Means Scholarship is available to students in any year of their undergraduate study at NIT Kurukshetra.
- A student must have an annual household income of less than INR 2,50,000 (excluding HRA) to be eligible for the Merit Cum Means Scholarship.
- A candidate must also have obtained a minimum of 60% or higher in one try in the qualifying examination.
- The National Scholarship is available to students who have received at least 60% in their most recent qualifying examination and have an annual household income of less than INR 2,50,000 (excluding HRA).
- Boarders of the institute receive INR 300 per month as a scholarship reward, while day scholars receive INR 120.
National Scholarship for children of School Teachers:
- The National Scholarship is designed specifically for the children of working teachers who attend any accredited primary or secondary school.
- Applicants must have received 60% or above in their most recent qualifying examination.
- Furthermore, the annual household income should not be more than INR 2,50,000.
Post matric Scheduled Caste/ Tribe Scholarship:
- The Post Matric SC/ST Scholarship is available to SC/ST students whose annual family income is less than INR 2,50,000.
- Boarders are paid INR 425 per month, while day scholars are paid INR 190 per month.
Alumni Association Scholarship:
- The Alumni Association Scholarship is available to NIT Kurukshetra B.Tech students in the areas of Civil, Mechanical, Electronics, and Computer Science Engineering.
- 5 scholarships worth INR 2400 per year are available to financially disadvantaged students enrolled in the NIT Kurukshetra B.Tech program.
- To be eligible for the Alumni Association Scholarship, the applicant’s parents/guardians must provide the necessary paperwork as well as an affidavit detailing their income from all sources.
Aside from the scholarships stated above, NIT Kurukshetra also offers other scholarships/financial help, which include:
- P & T Scholarship
- Principal DM Sen- Scholarship
- Sh. R.P. Sahni Memorial Scholarship
- Sh. Shyam Sunder Dhingra Medal & Scholarship
Does NIT Kurukshetra have research and development facilities?
Yes, the institute actively participates in research and development initiatives across various fields. It has research centers and well-equipped laboratories to support innovative projects.
How do I apply for admission to NIT Kurukshetra?
Admission to NIT Kurukshetra’s various programs is primarily based on national-level entrance examinations such as JEE Main for undergraduate courses and GATE for postgraduate courses. Specific details about the admission process are available on the institute’s website.
Is NIT Kurukshetra recognized by the government?
Yes, NIT Kurukshetra is a government-funded institution. It is recognized by the Ministry of Education (formerly the Ministry of Human Resource Development) and is one of the top engineering colleges in India.
What programs does NIT Kurukshetra offer?
The institute offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in engineering, management, and applied sciences. These programs cover various disciplines, providing students with diverse academic choices.
How is the faculty at NIT Kurukshetra?
NIT Kurukshetra has a dedicated and experienced faculty. Many faculty members are actively involved in research and development, contributing to the institute’s academic excellence.